Elder Kennedy's Mission Scripture

Elder Kennedy's Mission Scripture:

Omni 1: 26

"And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved."

Monday, February 25, 2013

Upcoming basptism


Hey All!

I am digging my mission a lot even though it’s always hot here! And there is never air conditioning! I have a fan that I use at night, so I’m not too hot when I sleep so that’s nice. I really need to get a mosquito net because they drink me alive at night. Renee said dad might be sending me a mosquito net? I gained 10-15 lbs in the MTC!!!! I am the heaviest I have ever been. Right now I am about 70-71 kg. I don’t know how but I’m getting big, hahaha it doesn’t seem possible because I walk around all day and sweat like crazy, but when we eat in peoples homes for lunch I cant be rude and not eat so I eat and then they feed me more and more because they assume oh he´s hungry or really likes the food. Not the case! Although a lot of the time it’s really good food. But I am starting to burn it off slowly now because I’m walking around in the sun. I am definitely coming home with a wicked farmers tan. Wednesday I was in Recife visiting the temple and after I got to walk around, check out the shopping plaza and stuff. It was pretty exciting. Recife is really a cool city. Tons of cars, people and traffic. There are tons and tons of sky scrapper apartment buildings. On the outskirts it’s more shanty houses and dirt roads. Its the best city for transportation in Brazil because I live about an hour from the city and my companion and I take a bus to the metro station which goes along for a ways and eventually we get off and take another bus to where we need to be to get to the temple. It’s sweet because we only have to pay for the first bus, which is 2.25 reais. The language is coming slowly but surely. I can definitely communicate what I am trying to say to people, which is good, even though a lot of the time I have to repeat myself. Every time someone speaks to me I usually have to ask him or her to repeat the question or repeat what he or she are saying. When people speak slower I understand them, but it’s so difficult when they speak quietly and fast at the same time.

Beatriz is doing awesome! She was going to be baptized yesterday/Sunday night but her mom couldn’t make it so she is going to be baptized this Saturday or Sunday. I am super excited. Yeah since my companion only speaks Portuguese he pretty much does most of the teaching. I help him a little bit with English and I’m starting to teach him more and more as I get more comfortable with the language. That’s crazy about Meagan Bertha going to the Birmingham, England Mission! England or Germany would be my 2nd choice after Brazil. And Tj is going to Guatemala, that’s sweet. The Del Mar Stake is going to have like a hundred missionaries pretty soon. You asked about some insects that are in my mission, well there are at least 50 different species of ants and they are everywhere especially in houses. There are cockroaches, mosquitoes, flies, centipedes, and scorpions. I’m glad my area doesn’t have too many scorpions but some missionaries in the mission wake up and find a scorpion in their house at least once a week. I always check my shoes just in case. Oh there are tons of spiders as well. I don’t mind the insects here except for the mosquitoes. 

Thanks Mom and Renee for the i-pod I got it about 4 days ago it works fine and I like the music. Futebol...I don’t get to play a lot of Futebol. Well not in competitive games, it’s a mission rule because of the risk of injury (especially when playing with Brazilians). I pass the ball around a lot with kids in the ward, or shoot goals but I’m not really allowed to play in games. It breaks my heart. They don’t have a rule against rugby, so I’m starting to get into it. I can’t believe Ian is a Zone leader in the MTC!!! That’s nuts. I’m sure he is killing it and keeping his zone focused on good missionary work. In other news I had my 3rd shower with running water. YAY! It felt like heaven. I get to take about 2 showers (via bucket) a day, one in the morning and one at night before bed. I am loving life down here in Brazil. Everyday is a new experience but everything is getting more familiar to me. Thanks Renee for my blog and thanks everyone for reading my blog, and always sending your optimistic spirit and love.

Granny, Dad and Dianna- (Granny) I am happy to hear you received my post card from Sao Paulo. A lot has happened since my stay in the training center, but I am sure glad to be here in Ponte Dos Carvalhos (Bridge of the Oaks). Yes I think Carvalhos means Oaks and I am pretty sure my area is named after a family called Carvalhos. I assume they settled this area a long time ago. I am also glad you like the stamps. I thought they were interesting and different. I hope my Dad and Dianna receive their post cards before too long.
Mom- I’m glad you had a fun trip and got back safe. How was visiting Dana and the fam? Did you get to see Grandpa Jim? Life down here in Brazil is all good. Its sweet Ian is a zone leader.
Renee- could you please send me that talk by Elder Bednar on prayer? That would be awesome! I had Sunday school and talks in church about prayer this past Sunday as well. I’m also super jealous you and Joe went skiing! In fresh powder! Is Joe getting better? He will probably be better than me when I get back...haha psych!

tchau
Elder Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment