Elder Kennedy's Mission Scripture

Elder Kennedy's Mission Scripture:

Omni 1: 26

"And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved."

Monday, March 11, 2013

4 months out!


Hey All!

Again, all is well in Ponte Dos Carvalhos and I love life! The people are super generous here. They don’t have much money but they spoil us with food and laughter. haha I have to lay off the carbs. But don’t worry, I promise to have a 6 pack when I come home! That’s a promise.
Portuguese is rough but coming along slowly but surely. It helps when I receive compliments from Brazilians that I talk to about how good my Portuguese is. It motivates me to study harder and speak more confidently. I try not to let the hard language get me down. Difficulties with the language is the source of stress on my mission but I’m buckling down and working harder. What I do know, is that God lives! I know that I am here to help others come unto Christ.

Anyway this week has been golden. Yesterday we taught 2 new families and they seem interested in learning more about the gospel and are going to read The Book of Mormon.
Renee, thanks for the spiritual advice on the use of profanity. I like the sections from Elder Oaks talk “Revenant and Clean” that you pointed out. Brazilians use the Lord’s name in vein quite a bit and Brazilian’s learn English curse words and say them just to show off their English I guess. They are respectful once I tell them that those words are offensive and I start to teach them useful phrases in English. My favorite scripture to read right now is the one we always share with investigators; Moroni 10: 3-7. It’s really cool to share because it demonstrates the difference in our religion and others. People wonder why we have a “Mormon bible” and a lot of time people struggle with the Restoration. We invite them to read, ponder, and pray about the truthfulness of The Book of Mormon just like it says in Moroni’s promise. People are always amazed with this challenge and I see a change in them when they honestly decide to read and ask God if this book is not true! 

My companion is now District Leader so that’s cool. More responsibility and pressure to work hard and set a good example. We have a transfer in 3 weeks and i hope to have one more with my beloved companion Elder J Franca. He has been in Ponte his whole mission (7 months) so it’s possible he will be transferred. But he was just called as a District Leader -you never know with transfers what’s going to happen. It’s possible I’m a trainer, who knows? I imagine I may be staying here and he may get transferred (just because of how long he has been here already). I’m so stoked Ian is heading out into the field tomorrow! I sure he is bouncing off the MTC walls with excitement! I was dying to get out of the MTC the last few weeks. I hope he gets to call you guys from the airport.

Thanks Joe for the RHCP paraphrasing and surf lesson reflection. Im going to put my best foot forward and have a good p-day and an even better week! “Plant your feet and stand strong.” I better coin that phrase. hahaha soon you and Renee will be enjoying the pacific ocean again. That’s sick you remember that I told you to plant your feet and not move them when you were learning to surf. I do remember that day. It was so fun. hhuueeaahh! I get surf withdrawals and start shaking sometimes. One day I will have to come back to Recife and show these Brazilians how we do it in so-cal. 

Hey guess what? My birthday is on Mother’s day! Waahoo! It will be a great day to talk to family! Thank you for your prayers, they help a lot.

com amor,
Elder Kennedy


Mom- I´m sad you are not feeling too well this week. Pain in the throat is a real bummer and I have empathy for you. Please don’t feel bad about last year (wow that was almost a year ago) when I had strep throat and mono. Im just bummed Im not there to give you a blessing. Thanks for the notes from Elder Bednar. I had a companion in the CTM Elder F. who is in the Maceio mission! I’m so jealous they got to hear him. Anyway I love you so much Mom. No one on this earth makes me want to be more like Christ than you!
Aunt Jeanine-You really don’t have to send me anything for my birthday. You are too kind. I do miss American candy and peanut butter! I’m sorry its not much but that’s all I can think of. I’m not in need of anything. I am so grateful you sent the bible quad to my friend from Mozambique. I will make sure he received it and I’m sure he will be/ is absolutely thrilled! I love you so much and I am so blessed to have such a loving aunt. Thank you for all that you do and may God continue to pour blessings upon you.
Joe- You better get good at surfing quick these 2 years so we can shred it up.
Dad- That’s awesome you are performing your song at an open Mic night! Good luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment